Life with an old Landie

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
disco2hse

Life with an old Landie

Post by disco2hse »

Our old truck get s a lot of use.

Get home after 300+km and it's running fine. Next morning and it's running like crap (1 or two cylinders at best). No time to think too much about it, too much to do. 🙄

Tighten the front near side wheel bearing. First attempt, too tight. Take everything apart again and reset. 🤔 All good now 🤪

Need to drive and it's raining ☔. Bugger, forgot about the crap running but now it's worse. Wouldn't pull the skin of a custard pudding.

Pull off dizzy cap. Looks ok but old. The terminals don't look burned though and the rotor edge is a but lumpy but not blackened. 👍 That brush looks suss though. Pull the spare out of the tool box (everyone has a spare dizzy brush and spring in their car, right?). Pull the old one out of the dizzy cap and compare with the new. Yikes, 4mm difference 🤨 . Fix the new one in, start up : yeehaw, we got life! 🤪

Driving... driving... driving... Look down. Ah shit... speedo just stopped working
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Re: Life with an old Landie

Post by Geoff »

Ah shit... speedo just stopped working
Pull over, turn engine off, get out, lift bonnet, forcefully push on speedo cable towards bulkhead, bonnet back down, get back in, proceed on way ... works for me.

Plan B - enable speed reading on SatNav screen - but never had to resort to it yet, 'cept when testing accuracy of speedo. How may speed cameras you got there in NZ? - do you actually need a speedo there? Here you wouldn't dare drive half a mile without one - and it's an MOT fail now here too, although I'm not sure how they actually test it (vehicle stationary, speedo says 0mph, yup, all working)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Re: Life with an old Landie

Post by disco2hse »

Geoff wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm
Ah shit... speedo just stopped working
Pull over, turn engine off, get out, lift bonnet, forcefully push on speedo cable towards bulkhead, bonnet back down, get back in, proceed on way ... works for me.

Plan B - enable speed reading on SatNav screen - but never had to resort to it yet, 'cept when testing accuracy of speedo. How may speed cameras you got there in NZ? - do you actually need a speedo there? Here you wouldn't dare drive half a mile without one - and it's an MOT fail now here too, although I'm not sure how they actually test it (vehicle stationary, speedo says 0mph, yup, all working)
I'll get underneath and check there first. LT95 connections are known to fail. But I'll do that. Sounds simpler than pulling the instrument panel off.

SatNav?? I have one on the boat... They are never as accurate as a speedo because they get data on a periodic basis. So at best you are only getting an average speed. The speedo is analog and real time.

Yes, we fund our agencies through cameras too. Speedo is absolutely a must. The latest trick is to put in variable speed zones with LED speed signs. The speed limits actually change and some semi-controlled intersections drop from 100 to 60km/hr without warning. Definitely a WoF fail. However I have a rev counter and know the engine revs for each common speed in 4th gear.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5