3 tonne station wagon

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Glen

3 tonne station wagon

Post by Glen »

A mate has just bought a stage 1 station wagon. The VIN plate states the gross weight is 3020kg and the gross train weight is that plus 4000kg (which seems to be normal for a series).

Only ever seen 2710kg on a 109 VIN plate before (not seen a 1 ton young enough to have a VIN plate) though the heavyweight HCPU presumably had a higher gross (unlikely to see one of them!). Maybe it means it left the factory with HD springs though whatevers on it now (havn't counted the leafs) it rides really nicely when empty.

Romour has it it was converted from new to a utility station wagon for the UK enviroment agency by pop riviting over the rear windows and alpine lights, might have been done by Land-Rover specal vehicles (which I don't think was called that at the time so they probubly didn't fit LRSV plates like they did in the 90's) though if they did that I wonder why they didn't just fit 88in van sides as surely that would have been easyer.
disco2hse

Re: 3 tonne station wagon

Post by disco2hse »

It is the HCPU gross weight: kerb weight at 1717kg plus payload at 1303kg.

Does it run 900x16 tyres?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I can't remember where but I read somewhere ages ago that Land Rover cocked up a load of spec sheets during manufacture and some batches of 109's (not specifically V8's) got the wrong weight data applied to them thus the V5 and VIN plates are wrong. It usually causes a problem when it comes to the MOT (UK) as at that weight it requires a Class 7 test. Ideally you need to get in touch with DVLA and have the data changed.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Glen

Post by Glen »

The class 7 bit would be slightly iritating but actully as its a station wagon its probubly classed as an estate (ie a car) thus automaticly a class 4 regardless of weight which probubly isn't recorded on the V5C (thats the way all the station wagons I've seen and owned are). How a utility SW fits into that I don't know though as its not a normal model but as it started out as a normal SW thats probubly how it stayed - I'll have to look at the V5C.

Assuming it is classed as a car the only iritant the extra weight would bring is the owner will only be able to legally tow 480 kg with it if the trailer has brakes (rather than 790 kg with a normal weight VIN, which is still uselessly low) as he doesn't have a BE licance so will have to keep the gross plated weight below 3500 kg (ie the trailer has to be plated with a max weight below those figures not just loaded to them), oddly without brakes the trailer could weigh 750 kg as thats aloud to be in adition to any catagory B vehicle. All the more resion to do the BE test so he can pull 3500kg with it. In reality those weights mean no braked trailer can be pulled behind a 109 without BE (the lighter 88 models fair slightly better) so it doesn't make that much difference. With that in mind the higher weight is a bonus as it would make it harder to get done for overloading the truck - I'm not going to recomend he gets it changed, its more useful this way.
22900013a

Post by 22900013a »

What colour is it? if pale green it could well be an ex SEB one (see my recent posts on that subject) which may well have had a higher gross weight, they were also converted to USW spec.
Glen

Post by Glen »

22900013a wrote:What colour is it? if pale green it could well be an ex SEB one (see my recent posts on that subject) which may well have had a higher gross weight, they were also converted to USW spec.
Nope, its ex enviroment agency, its white, very white, white everywhere, even in the places no one bothers to repaint (its obveously had a blow over in the past though). The wheels are limestone which clash a bit, dare I say it it might not actulyy look wrong with a set of new defender take off rims as they are white (which looked a bit wrong on my old red 109).

Spec wise the main curiosity is the brown 'county' cloth trim though the seats aren't actully county ones as the front ones need the surport bar to hold the backs up. The side repeaters and driving lights you usally get on counties aren't there eather. I'm assuming somewhere on the options list you could spec cloth seats without the county pack. Single fuel tank. Factory tow pack judging by the warning lamp on the centre dash panel which isn't at all surprising given its tidyness - pritty sure it was bought for its towing ability and has then spent most of its life not actually doing anything. Its got an overdrive but since its also got a 1.174:1 high range I suspect someone broke a RRC and that came with it, likely explains the SU carbs too though as yet the engine/box numbers aren't known.