rebirth of the beast

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Blackwitch

rebirth of the beast

Post by Blackwitch »

Evening all, long time member that has rediscovered the spark for his Stage 1 that has been on a SORN for a few years.

I've no technical skills and no interest in any diy on my vehicle at this stage (too busy).

I SORN'd the beast about 5 years ago and she's not been touched since. Promised myself she'd never be sold and that she'd see the light of day.

That day is getting close i think. When i SORN'd her she was running perfectly; this might be an impossible question to answer, but can anyone guide me as to what typically I'm looking at to get her MOT'd and back on the road again?

I'll need new tyres all round/new battery; what else should I be looking for?

Any idea of cost to bring her back into shape assuming I could find a gagrage to do the work for me?

Cheers
Mrs Bingham

Re: rebirth of the beast

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Well that would depend on how well it has been stored. Has it been dry stored or left outside?
You could be faced with two very different scenarios :o

I’m assuming that you are looking to get it running before you do anything so at the very least you should change the engine oil and filter and then spin it over to get the oil pressure up before you try firing it up. Ideally change all the ignition components but if not a good clean of plugs, points and cap should be enough to run it up providing a good spark is present. Maybe the carbs will need new diaphragms if Strombergs and certainly run some clean fuel.

Definitely have the brakes looked at before you try and drive it :shock:

My view would be to try and find a Land Rover nut local to you and ask him to help you commission it. Usually a few beers or quick go round the block is usually payment enough :wink:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Blackwitch

Re: rebirth of the beast

Post by Blackwitch »

Thanks for the kind reply Mrs B.

I'll try all that and I'll definately find a landy nut to have a look over and guide me. Really regret letting the old girl just stand there like that. Still get a burst of adrenaline everytime I swing into the drive so even as a garden ornament she'd been worth her weight in gold!