Mercedes 3.0L turbo engine Conversion

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
robertstr

Mercedes 3.0L turbo engine Conversion

Post by robertstr »

Not sure if I am gonig to get toasted here but, I am pretty close to buying a doner Merc, getting an adapter kit from
these guys,
http://www.4x4labs.com/products/diesel- ... s/om617gm/ OR
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Mer ... diesel.htm

These seem to be viable options to put GM Transmission on the Benz engine, will need second adapter to the 230 as well.

First things first, I dont know nearly enough to do this conversion, but I just wont let that stop me, never does.
Some awesome threads on the subject do exist, but nobody I can see has posted any good information for doing this in a
stage one, which with extra engine bay space I BELIEVE its an ideal LR to do this to, If such a thing exists.

Few great threads..... http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/eng ... diesel.htm
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... -rig-build {epic thread of Jim Youngs amazing build!)

WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO SOMETHING AS NUTTY AS THIS? (INSANITY MUST BE JUSTIFIED..RIGHT?)
1. I want to get 25 MPG-period
2. I want to use WVO or Black Diesel
3. I want cheap local parts, and mechanics who can work on them.
4. I want bulletproof, easy and cheap US truck transmission in it.
5. I don't want to drop 2-3k on upgrading a tired 25 year old gas motor, that was not really the bomb when it was made.
6. Thats my story and I am sticking to it atm......

If anybody has done this please chime in, If you think a Merc diesel in a land rover is the ultimate combo please chime in, if you think LR should be left in original factory condition, hmmmm, I would flip over to another channel...... :twisted:
Just bought x NZ army 109 Stage 1 V8
you cant fix stupid
robertstr

Re: Mercedes 3.0L turbo engine Conversion

Post by robertstr »

Does anybody have a proper template for the rover bell house? Would help a ton,

Cheers
you cant fix stupid
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

I've seen a Rover V8 implanted into a Merc.
A diesel into a Stage 1 is a sensible conversion. Mine was originally a 3,9 Isuzu.
I'll watch this thread with interest.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Hey mate why don't you have a look at the Isuzu Diesel that was factory fitted to the Aussie Stage One's. It is pretty close to a straight swap for the 3.5 V8. Google "Land Rover Stage One Isuzu Diesel" and check it out. Fuel economy is close to what you are looking at and I imagine that parts will be easily sourced and cheaper than a Merc. These motors also were used in the 110 Land Rovers in Oz and also have been used by the Australian Military. The military versions are called "Perenties". They are the real deal and still fetch good money in Oz if you can find one for sale. The LT95 gearbox is also probably easier kept as it is one of the attributes of the Stage One, being a constant 4WD transmission and having the ability to lock the centre diff when the going gets tough. It is this feature that was carried through to most Land Rover products in the subsequent constant 4WD transmissions right through to the current crop of vehicles. Parts for these gearboxes are also reasonably easily sourced. The box itself is not to difficult to rebuild either an there is a wealth of knowledge on the service and rebuilding of a LT95 box on the various Land Rover forums that populate the net. Hey the box was used in Range Rover Classics, 101's, 110's and Perenties in Oz as well as the Stage One so there are heaps of them out there to source parts from.

As far as your thoughts on the Rover V8 I think you will find it served Rover well into the new Millennium as a 4.6 litre engine in the P38 Range Rover. Not bad for a motor that you have little regard for and believe "was not really the bomb when it was made". That little V8 has really been a brilliant motor and to be honest with you will be far cheaper to source parts for than a Mercedes engine. Unfortunately as you have eluded to in your comments the cost of fuel to run these V8's is getting prohibitive and a diesel engine is a great choice for a Stage One.

If you go ahead and repower your Stage One wouldn't it be cheaper to source a GM diesel motor that mates to a GM transmission? I am not sure about the set up you are considering but I think you can achieve your wish via a few easier alternatives.

Good luck in your quest for a diesel conversion that can be achieved for under 2-3K. Really interested in following your conversion as I haven't seen the components you are looking at putting together completed before in a Stage One.

Regards Warrick.

PS. Happy New Year!!
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

Hey Warrick. All valid points.
The Merc engines (at least the ones I have been exposed to) are superbly engineered. I wouldn't mind seeing how Robert goes with the project.
Oh, and Merc bits should be cheaper and easier to source over there than they are here.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

No worries Mick, point taken. I am sure the Germans have put together a good diesel engine and like you said they probably are cheaper in the US than they are here. Looking forward to seeing how Robertstr puts it all together.

Sorry Robertstr if I sounded a little bit of a rivet counter because I am not and I do like to see creative ways people put their Land Rovers together. Good luck and I hope some other crew on the forum have some useful knowledge to help you out.

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
robertstr

Post by robertstr »

I looked at the Isuzu diesel, but in the states they are rare, and just as expensive parts wise. In the states its not uncommon to
find a full doner merc car for around 1000 bucks. or less...and a ton of junk yard parts to be had for sure.

The total unknown so far is Nobody makes a adapter kit, or even adapter plate
to mate a Merc diesel to the lT95 which I have decided to keep. If for any reason the LT95 should fail I can get several high quality kits to mate a
GM transmission.

When I got the bug to try this a while back I called Jim Young who has done this two times ...after telling me its dam hard to do, pretty much
said its the ultimate combo. Honestly I just love the car, but want to trust it on big trips and not have it stuck in a garage in few years as gas is 7 bucks a
gallon and its getting maybe ten mpg atm around town? Its so low I just pretend not to notice...lol

I am in the homework stage atm, but the idea has taken hold......
you cant fix stupid
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

Robert,
Being ex-NZ army, I assume it's right hand drive. Are you going to convert it or have you converted it?
If you are keeping it right hand drive, how do you think you'll cope being in a nation that insists on driving on the wrong side of the road?
The reason why I ask is we are getting a lot of old 60's and 70's American cars coming out here and the owners are keeping them left hand drive.
robertstr

Post by robertstr »

Its RHD, and I am keeping it this way, I have lived in London and SA and few other places that have RHD, so its no issue for me.
I have decided to do the first leg which is adding power steering, this is done to give the engine room to fit a lot better. lol the
funny part is this is where RHD is screwing me in the States, I need a RHD P38 steering box, which I assumed would be easy
to find as bunch of swaps have been done here to LHD. But so far no luck on the box and getting one from England is way to expensive
to ship. I have a welder friend who said we can just weld a plate to the other side, but idea does not appeal to me ....Yet.

IF anybody has a technical diagram of the back of the bell housing on the rover engine that would be super appreciated.
Also wanted some opinions about... I will not be adding a overdrive, nor like I mentioned changing out the tranny.. so 4 gears it is
but thought the conversion that fireman did was brilliant, just changing out the high gears. Anybody see any reason the engine swap could make this swap a bad idea?

On a side note, have started scanning Craigslist for a proper centrifuge for the future, black diesel production. I will have to
get this sorted out as well. Wife is not super excited about this aspect....
you cant fix stupid
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

robertstr wrote: Wife is not super excited about this aspect....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good luck with the engine swap and power steering. reading this with interest
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

i totally recommend the power steering option, just done mine and wow, what an improvement! all i needed was a defender column and intermediate shaft which then bolted straight onto the disco steering box.
i used a disco 1 power steering setup as i changed the motor to a 3.9 which is a pretty easy conversion compared to what you are planning.
i have not had it certified yet so will not start a thread on the topic until that is done but i have just done a trip up north for a week and apart from a few niggles it went very well.
good luck
robertstr

Re: Mercedes 3.0L turbo BIG UPDATE

Post by robertstr »

OK, so being a chicken I have kept pounding Google and the forums looking for a kit to do this, as I think I have a
much better chance of success If the tricky bits are sorted out by somebody smarter than me.

I came across a link to this website, its in swedish so have to use google translate.

http://www.smt.nu/default.asp?Expand=4&Display=2

This company make several kits to mount diesels into land rovers, with series boxes OR lt95.
Been going back and forth a bit as I dont know all the right questions, but

This was the last reply
"The kit contains of adapters between engine and
gearbox, four engine mountings, two for the engine and two for the existing
mountings in the chassis (you don't need to cut and weld anything), new
bearing with socket in the end of the crankshaft for the axle from the
gearbox, and instruction in English. This kit is for the OM 617 without
turbo. For the turbo version it is the same kit, except the two mountings on
the right side."
That is what you see in the picture. On the top you see the adapter between
engine and bell house, to the left you see a part of the exhaust system from
the muffler under the car and up to the engine room ( I didn't mention that
the first time), in the middle you see the bearing with socket and to the
right is the two engine mountings you get to the turbo engine, but they are
put together in the picture.
Gösta

Price for the kit is about 750 US Dollars, plus about 100 in shipping .....
Will post more as I torture the poor guy to death... BUT, very cool option and they make kits for about 5-6 engine options.

Cool Stuff..... :mrgreen:
you cant fix stupid
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

seeing as how you the language thing sorted, what other engine options do they have??
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

never mind, i scrolled down to get the english bit... :lol: