1977 prototype restoration

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
lr10

Re: 1977 prototype restoration

Post by lr10 »

Friends, I'm back. I've was lost in action for a while but was recently found in the sump. If you want to see more photos, go to my facebook, carl olsson

Also as I have a prototype and for all the non-believers, don't hesitate to ask. It has been a lot of work to get where I am today but I'm not finished yet. I have, as someone suggested not replaced or changed any original pieces or else. Seals and bolts have been changed though.
Attachments
something
something
IMGP9674.JPG (35.84 KiB) Viewed 12538 times
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

:shock:

Which carl olsson are you? There are heaps of them.

It would be easier to post links to the photos on here. Not everyone has a FB account and this is an important machine, historically speaking.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
lr10

Post by lr10 »

lr10

Post by lr10 »

[img][/img][attachment=2]IMGP8713.JPG[/attachment][img][/[attachment=1]IMGP8718.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]IMGP8718.JPG[/attachment]img]
Attachments
It wasn't painted before but I thought that it would look nicer in duck-egg.
It wasn't painted before but I thought that it would look nicer in duck-egg.
IMGP8704.JPG (35.82 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
After having brushed some diesel on and then cleaned it with a hot-water Kärcher.
After having brushed some diesel on and then cleaned it with a hot-water Kärcher.
IMGP8718.JPG (32.43 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
cleaned, painted etc.
cleaned, painted etc.
IMGP8713.JPG (34.59 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
lr10

Post by lr10 »

Here's some links to my FB.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=1

By this link I hope that you can see the rest.
Attachments
It's nicer in Limestone.
It's nicer in Limestone.
IMGP9660.JPG (32 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
Nicer than dirt, well it depends who you ask.
Nicer than dirt, well it depends who you ask.
IMGP9671.JPG (24.59 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
lr10

Post by lr10 »

Help!
I'm about to do the brake pipes and hoses in the front. I don't remember where the "Break Failure Switch" was mounted and if I really need it. As you can see I have a dual system with two connections at the Master Cylinder.
I have a three way connector at the front and back to connect left and right side to one pipe.

Could someone tell me where and how I connect this "Brake Failure Switch"?
I've numbered each connection so that it will be easier to explain.

Thanks in advance
Carl
Attachments
IMGP9710.JPG
IMGP9710.JPG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 12514 times
IMGP9706.gif
IMGP9706.gif (91.84 KiB) Viewed 12514 times
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Series III Repair Operation Manual, pages 70-4 and 5

Note also the steps on page 70-1.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
lr10

Post by lr10 »

[quote="disco2hse"]Series III Repair Operation Manual, pages 70-4 and 5

Note also the steps on page 70-1.[/quote]
Thanks Alan,

I was reading what you recommended but I was confused there for a while as I also had a tree-way connector in the front.

I'll just put that three-way connector in the front aside and go directly to to each wheel in the front and one to the back from the "Brake Failure switch"

What I don't like about this "Repair Operation Manual" is that you can't read it like a normal book. You have to read it holding it on the side, like some idiot staring at naked chicks in Playboy or something. Or perhaps they designed it like this as all Land Rover owners besides the Repair Op Manual only "read" Playboy and Hustler... and they didn't want to confuse them.

I read in the news today that they were singing in the parliament in New Zeeland as gay-marriage was voted in as Australia stood their ground. The article didn't mention what song they were singing but I guess it must have been something like Village-People or something. I hope that there will never be a "Repair Operation Manual-gay-version"

Ps, for those easily offended, it's a joke.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

lol

Probably, it's easier to read when you are lying on your back under the car and the book is on your chest. :D
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
lr10

Post by lr10 »

[quote="disco2hse"]lol

Probably, it's easier to read when you are lying on your back under the car and the book is on your chest. :D[/quote]

Are you referring to the "Repair Op Manual" or Playboy? If you where referring to the later I suggest you put your money on a tailor-made strait-jacket. Nobody wants to have one of those off-the-shelf these days.

But as you are a Land Rover owner I would assume you meant the Repair Manual.
lr10

Post by lr10 »

Hi there.

I'm about to fix the rear breaks, the front-breaks are already fixed.

Now, I've heard that it's nearly impossible to bleed the break system. In order NOT to fill it with break-fluid backwards at the front-breaks I connected the front-breaks backwards. From the hose at each front-wheel I connected the bottom cylinder first and then the upper one. By this I hope to get the air out easier. Is there anyone thinking that it was a good or a bad idea?

Also, how many prototypes are there out today and how many Stage One were built? Does anyone have an idea of what a Stage One prototype could be worth, or mine? I know that I'll have to insure it one day and it would be useful to have an idea of what to insure it for.

I also have a complete canvas roof, I'll take a photo one day. I'm thinking of selling it as I'll probably never use it.

Does anyone know what I'm holding in my hand? I sandpapered and painted it, then I forgot where it goes!
Attachments
Foto0033.jpg
Foto0033.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 12462 times
rear breaks.jpg
rear breaks.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 12462 times
lr10

Post by lr10 »

This is how I made the inside of the doors. I think that it's nice but feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
Attachments
Foto0034.jpg
Foto0034.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 12462 times
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

About the brakes. Engineers had worked on creating effective brakes for many years by the time yours was made. I would not try to second guess their efforts or "improve" what they have done because you want to make it easier to bleed. You may create a situation that is unpredictable and exceedingly dangerous both for yourself and the other people you hit when your brakes fail.

It is possible to bleed brakes, of course it is. Personally, I suck at it but then I don't have a pump to make it easier for me. There is a process but I always manage the mess it up and end up with squashy uneven brakes. I get a pro to do it for me and I know it will be done right. My life is fairly important to me.

I do recognise the bit, but I can't quite place it. I think it is a bodywork component ??

I did more or less the same on my doors. Made it a lot quieter and warmer in winter. On yours, I would have made the top parts the full length of the doors.

I think I might have asked this before, but why have you got One Ten door tops?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
lr10

Post by lr10 »

One Ten door-tops? Thanks, now I know that they are One Ten door tops. I have no idea where they are coming from. I got them from the guy I bought the car from. It says something on the outside of the door tops too, "SAM ARhD+" Can you make head or tail out of that? Perhaps it's the former owners blood-type or something.

About the breaks... English car manufacturers have never made history in making great cars, except Land Rover to a certain extent. Quote, "Lucas, the man that invented darkness" Maybe you've heard that quote. Though they have managed to build cars that people will love for always, and that's why we're here.
Concerning the front-breaks. When I connected it "backwards" I thought... -Well, the cylinders look the same, the shoes the same, the drum just circle the shoes, so what the heck!
If I'll find a flaw when testing it I'll tell you all about it. I agree that you must not risk the lives of anyone, not even yourself.

I talked to a guy repairing old Land Rovers the other day and even he said that it's a pain in the neck bleeding the system. I guess that I'm in for an adventure...
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Yeah, I saw that. SAM is possibly a name or an acronym.

I thought Right Hand Drive, but you are probably right about the blood type. Someone was paranoid or had no faith in their brakes?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5