Overdrive

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

It was evolution 2 I got.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Ginga

Re: Overdrive

Post by Ginga »

Ginga wrote:clutch sleeve for a Stage 1 V8 fairey overdrive. The Fairey Part No is 5114-A2.
A chum has told me today that the Landrover part no for the appropriate clutch sleeve is RTC7228 .......... im now on a search to find said part.
Theres always a way !
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Way Hay! ... Overdrive tastic.

After scouring the net and emailing absolutly everyone i could including any links you guys suggested ... Paddocks, craddocks, rovers down south, superwinch etc etc

I got a clutch sleeve (Landrover part no for the appropriate clutch sleeve is RTC7228) from Dingocroft for £37.08 inclusive delivery (internal UK)
They were very knowledgable and helpful

If you dont already have Dingcroft on your list they are based in High Wycombe UK web address is
http://www.dingocroft.co.uk

Regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
firemanshort

shifting linkage

Post by firemanshort »

Was anyone able to find a source for the shifting linkages?

Does anyone have photos of factory shifting linkages to copy?

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
firemanshort

Overdrive linkages

Post by firemanshort »

Did Ginga bid on a set of OD levers on E-Bay? I think I just out bid him...

-Firemanshort
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Aargh you cad sir, you bounder. :)

I did indeed bid on them. Ill email you now
Theres always a way !
firemanshort

No Winners

Post by firemanshort »

Neither of us won... but a plan is a foot!!
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

There is a gent on eBay in the UK that has quite a lot of LT95 gearbox parts that seem to never sell. . .just search for "rover stage 1" or "LT95" on ebay.co.uk and you'll see them. Still in the UK short? That's quite an adventure you've been on. Sounds similar to what I have been through, though my V8 is being rebuilt as we speak. I am going to de-rust the doors and fill them with two part foam so they will last a few years until I wish to replace them with proper clean doors. I am also having the tub reproduced at a local sheet aluminum supplier for about $200, as the crossmembers below ate large holes in the birmabright.
firemanshort

Linkage purchased

Post by firemanshort »

It looks like I got the linkage bought - the seller fleeced me for all I was worth but I took one for the team :lol:

Ginga is going to go pick it up and start work on reproducing additional pieces. If the plan works, both he and I will get the overdrive linkage we need and he may have a way to make more for anyone else that needs it.

Stay tuned for more details....
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
DPuckey

Gear Oil

Post by DPuckey »

Guys,

Just a thought, the LT95 overdrive runs on splash lubricate from the transfer box casing which normally runs on engine oil, this is unlike the standard Series overdrives which run on their own oil. Hence whatever you put into the overdrive will get mixed with the transfer box oil, unless the transfer box is also running on it, the question is this gear oil compatible with a transfer box intended to be ran on engine oil?

I once though I had an internal leak on mine as I was checking the level plug on the overdrive and it was always low, eventually got hold of a bloke at Superwinch in Okehampton who worked there when it was Fairey. Turns out this level plug is there for the initial fill of a new overdrive only in order to fill the transfer box with enough oil to cope with lubricating the overdrive as well. They designed it this way so that the overdrive would not run out of oil which did happen with the small reservoir on the Series 3 ones.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

I have a '83 stage1 ex NZ Army. I fitted an overdrive off a rangie to the lt95. It does make a difference. I am also thinking I will get a transferbox gear set from a range rover, as these are also higher geared.

:P :P
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Thought i would use this post to let you all know that i finally found an overdrive for my stage 1. If you thought they were rare in the UK, they are even more rare here in Australia. In the last three years i have seen maybe two and both guys wanted upwards of AU $900 for them and one of them didn't even have the lingages. I just purchased one for an amazingly low AU $50 here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &rd=1&rd=1

There are a couple of damaged gears but i have a friend that works in a machine shop that specialized in gear manufacturing so i am sure we can come up with something. I just couldn't pass this one up for so cheap that has all the parts. And the lingage is there too!!! I will let you all know when it is fixed and complete!!

Cheers,
Chris

oh yeah, by the way, i am finally moving to Virginia and the truck is on a boat and should arrive in Norfolk, VA USA on the 4th of August. I will post some pics when i have her registered and rolling in the states. Here is a pic the day before she got on the boat. Ebay is a great thing, i even managed to find the little "LandRover 3.5" badges for the bottom of the front clips---was that just and Australian thing, or did they have those in the European market as well. I know the Isuzu 3.9D was only in Australia??

firemanshort

What is your destination

Post by firemanshort »

[sarcasm]You say you are shipping that goat to Norfolk? Where abouts in Virginia are you settling?

Truth be told - things are getting a bit crowded over here in Virginia as far as Stage Ones are concerned.[/sarcasm]

I am up in Northern VA and do not like the idea of such a pretty truck showing up to out class mine :wink: There is another one up here that I have seen photos of - but have not had the chance to drive over and meet (too much business travel).

When you get to Virginia - look me up. I will buy you a pint and we can lie about our trucks to each other.

-Firemanshort
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Firemanshort,
I will be in Norfolk starting this Wednesday and the truck is supposed to arrive on Saturday?? I would bet it will be a week or two before she(Kimba) will be on the road. I will only be in Norfolk until June when i move to Japan and the truck will go in a Navy storage facility until roughly 2012!!!! Yikes!

Chris
firemanshort

Local Rover Action

Post by firemanshort »

Cool -

check out www.roav.org and http://www.carolinarovers.org/ for Spring time Land Rover events not too far form Norfolk.
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA