WHY ME...?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
atomic

WHY ME...?

Post by atomic »

:cry: Well the vicous fan problem has been solved, the platic blades disintergrated for some reason taking out the radiator :x Of course it had to be 45 miles down the road with ten kids on board!" Who thought it was very exciting but how were we getting to the Fleet Air Arm Museum?

The more worrying thing was that several miles before the disaster the steering went so tight on the right turn that it was almost impossible to move the wheel, but the other direction was fine!! this then cleared. :shock:

What I am wondering was it related to the fan destruction i.e a piece got stuck or is it something else I should be looking for? the only thing different was I had the tyres set at the pressures given in the book for travelling with load.

Why do I like landrovers again? :roll:
I like scaring [some] Volvo drivers!
Red 109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon {Dennis}
Same era 3.5l RR for its LPG kit.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Sound's like you got something jammed mate when your fan destroyed itself, i would still jack her up and get someone to turn the steering wheel while you listen and see if you got any funny noises or tight spots in your steering relay or there about's :shock:
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
atomic

Post by atomic »

Stripped parts off today. The radiator fan appears to have come in contact with the shroud shredding the blades. In the process a piece had nicked the second from bottom core piece allowing all the water to drain :(
Played with the steering which made had tight spots all over on the right hand turn along with some "clunking" at the steering wheel end of the bulkhead is that the steering relay you mentioned Basil.

Maybe I was lucky the fan went after all?
I like scaring [some] Volvo drivers!
Red 109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon {Dennis}
Same era 3.5l RR for its LPG kit.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi mate, no the steering relay is fixed on the front of the chassis, that is your steering box that the wheel is connected to, has it got any oil in it? also they are adjustable but it seems odd that it is only in one direction.

If i was you i would disconect the steering rod off the arm and then see if you got any serious play in it, like maybe a bearing collapse that would seem to fit with the clunking noise you have.

Please let us know how you get on

Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg