Grumpy old men - MEMFAST

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
map1275

Grumpy old men - MEMFAST

Post by map1275 »

Just received a reply from MEMFAST. You may have seen their rivnut tool in various magazines.

All I wanted was to replace a couple of rivnuts tighter than what the usual tool does them. But asking for non metric sizes appears to be too difficult for them.

The following is a cut and paste, so start from the bottom:

Hi Mark,

I refer to recent email communications between you and Jim and need to clarify some points you make including your comment below.

“No Imperial listings, not even UNF or UNC. I can understand Metric only if you are solely supplying new manufacturing industry but not when you advertise to the repair industry. Otherwise a simple warning on the home page, so potential clients don`t have to waste their time searching for what you don`t sell.”

We have only just made a range of the most popular UNC & UNF nut installation kits following our recent agreement with a new distributor in the U.S.A. Past demand for these imperial kits has been negligible, even from people doing repairs who choose to replace imperial fastenings with metric in the majority of cases. Availability and high cost are the reasons why most people choose metric fasteners above imperial. Only the most diehard restorers of old vehicles choose to retain the original threads and, in order to do this, pay a fortune for the fasteners (if they can find them) and then have to use standard nuts rather than the easier to use and install rivet nuts.

Another reason why most people elect to buy metric, and why we only stock metric fasteners (apart from one exception, that being the ¼-20 UNC AK LM type rivet nut in steel), is that there are a number of imperial variants including UNC & UNF (U.S.A.) and BSW, BSF & BA. These last three are now used so little that they have become inconsequential.

We think your idea about a simple statement on our website advising the situation is good and something we will incorporate.

For the record, we can supply the following UNC & UNF nut installation kits :

6-32 UNC

8-32 UNC

10-24 UNC

10-32 UNF

¼-20 UNC

5/16-18 UNC

5/16-24 UNF

3/8-16 UNC

I hope this addresses all your concerns and we apologise for any time you have wasted on our website – perhaps in hindsight, a simple email asking if we could supply specific thread sizes would have been more productive.

Regards

Ken

Sent: 21 December 2009 16:10
To: Ken Hastings
Subject: Fwd: Re: Request from website

----- Original Message -----
To: info@memfast.co.uk
Sent: Fri 18/12/09 10:30 PM
Subject: Fwd: Re: Request from website

So the only tool for Imperial threads you offer is for 1/4UNF? As per my original e-mail, I can't find even one Imperial listing on your website. Therefore I'm still not able to order.

On 19/12/2009, at 1:34 AM, info@memfast.co.uk wrote:

Hello Mark,
We only sell metric rivet nuts with the exception of AK LM 1/4 20.
We do now supply the tool with imperial installation kits.
I know this is a bit vague but I wasn't entirely sure what you were referring to.
I look forward to your response.
Best Regards
Jim

On Thu 17/12/09 1:35 AM , Mark paget@powerup.com.au sent:
Hi,

I am interested in making a purchase but I don't seem to able to
locate any Imperial thread forms on your website.

Regards,
Mark Paget.

Australia
Jamie_grieve

Post by Jamie_grieve »

Oh, well, suppose you're older and wiser now after all that? Being a tight Jock and nothing to do with being in Africa in the middle of nowhere I had great success with rivnuts of all sizes, all be it metric, by simply using a spring washer under a nut when putting them in. Put a nut on a bolt, screw the bolt in then wind the nut down the bolt (whilst holding the bolt) onto the spring washer and as long as the hole for the Rivnut's tight enough it'll tighten right up better than the tool they give you. Bit of practice and you'll soon get the hang of it.
New bulkheads from the factory don't have rivnuts in them for the steering column or heater as I found out over there too.
redtailhawk

Memfast

Post by redtailhawk »

Hi
can,t praise Memfast enought I bought a kit off them but found they had sent me two kits the same I rang them up and they sent me the right kit free of charge. Then only today I was rushing and over tightened a 6mm kit the result snapped mandrel I should know better any way I rang Memfast to order another 6mm kit he told me the price and I told him how i had done it in conversion he then said he would send me a 6mm mandrel out straight away at no cost to myself.
Darren
1981 Stage 1 SW
If it's not broken don't try to fix it
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Well maybe/hopefully they've sorted themselves out.

All I asked was a straightforward question and received a nonsense reply. Especially considering I was willing to buy their product sight unseen on the off chance that it might install rivnuts tighter than what I could get them.

Everyone cocks up occasionally. If they had just sorted the problem instead of handing over to another staff member to try and excuse the problem...
MEMFast

Post by MEMFast »

Hi Mark,

We had our web guy in today as we're striving to improve the service (I get the feeling at some point we weren't up to a certain individual's
standards) and interestingly I came across your V8 forum in google containing our company name.

I was initially disheartened by the intentionally demeaning and somewhat puerile nature of the posting whereby we are made out to be, in a public
forum, to all intents and purposes useless.

I can't excuse my lack of knowledge in the industry compared to my father's so therefore "handing over" the issue was the best means to provide you
with the help I felt you needed.

Do I need to state that not all companies hit the ground with the ultimate and definative ecommerce solution? You may want to sit down for this but we
have since improved the tool pages of the website greatly.

If you were considering making a purchase: "Especially considering I was willing to buy their product sight unseen on the off chance that it might
install rivnuts tighter than what I could get them." Perhaps you could explain to our now much wider audience how is it that we resolve the issues and
hear nothing from you? Why did the penultimate post describe a positive reflection of his experience with us? If you cared to check our feedback on
the website and more than 3,000 positive feedbacks on our eBay shop, you might realise that you appear to be in a minority of ONE.

We have done our best to resolve your situation and have since gone on to sell imperial tool packages & rivet nuts (limited range granted). Ultimately
you weren't prepared to put your money where your mouth is although you make an interesting point of considering buying our tool on a whim and then go
on to accuse us of somehow being resolutely indecisive when all we were trying to do was help. All I can extrapolate from your ramblings is an
apparent determination to be negative and display the persona of someone who makes it as hard as possible to be helped and then continues to try to
undermine the reputation of the person(s) who took great pains to help.

I'm only human, I make mistakes too believe it or not and I'm sure you're the sort of person that can testify to all the mistakes of others that have
hindered your life. But please don't make the mistake of thinking it's acceptable to post unsavoury threads for a company you never even purchased
from. Just to reiterate: initiating and then whining in a public forum where you both isolate and belittle yourself isn't the most constructive and
intelligent course of action to take.

Anyway, I hope the project you've undertaken has been a roaring success, assuming you found the time in between all the forum bashing to actually get
anything done.

I can take personal criticism as well as most and somewhat better than a few but when my company is unnecessarily besmirched by someone without any
credible foundation, you can bet your life you'll get a response and a half.

Jim - yes the guy who "handed you over"

P.S. My father says he would appreciate it if you could take the time to read his emails properly - when he says "1/4-20UNC" he does not mean
"1/4-20UNF"!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Jim,

This did not do your case any good.

People often grumble on forums. A company needs to take any lessons on board and disregard any other points that do not apply. Communications should never be directed at an individual, especially on a public forum.

It might seem unfair, but that's life in the business world. The customer is always right, even when they're wrong. Just smile, nod, and say thank you.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5