Help - V8 Lost power

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
V8darren

Help - V8 Lost power

Post by V8darren »

Hi all,

Question - My Stage 1 V8 has lost its power, its a 3500cc carb engine which standing still revs up fine and holds the revs without missing or poping on releasing the revs BUT when you take up drive it starts to misfire, almost the same effect as having wet dizzi/coil, the softer the acceleration the better it is and the harder the acceleration the worse it is.

I have replaced the air filters and spark plugs fuel filter looks to be clean and the dizzi cap and rotor arm are in good condition to.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Darren :(
You know your in heaven when the V8's a revin
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Darren, have you got electronic ignition? If not, try changing the points and condensor.

Richard
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

Its got a Luminition unit ?? on the side of the coil and has points and condensor inside the dizzi

Darren
Basil

Post by Basil »

I don't think it's lumenation on the side mate because when you fit one of them you replace the point's with a magic eye if i remember correctly, it could be a spark amplifier.

If you try replacing the points and condenser and that give's you no joy try replacing the coil as these can break down under load, failing that check that your dizzy timing on your dizzy has not slipped.

Hope this help's Basil.
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
samro

Post by samro »

I have breakless ingnition on my rangy, it's an auto but when you loaded it it missfired and would not move forwar in less in low range, I disasembeled the little black box under the coil then put it back to gether after a good clean now it works pukka!!

maybe some luck atched to that story mind...
"The very difficult we do immediately the impossible takes a little longer!"
1985 Range Rover V8 Auto [Rachel]
1981 Stage 1 V8 S/W [Custard]
1972 SIII 88" D S/W [The 88"]
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

when it happened after you have replaced some parts, the new part could be at fault. when you stil have the old parts, put them back and see if it will work properly again.
if your car also runs on lpg and you have fitted non standard air filters this could be at fault as well (too much air with some sports filters)
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I have a similar problem that I have not yet really addressed. The engine will idle all day long and rev and even drive for a few minutes. However, once I begin to cruise (after a few minutes) or put it under significant load like go up a hill, it begins to die and lose power. After having the carbs balanced, I pulled off the fuel filter to find very rusty fuel and a nearly blocked filter. I thought maybe the engine was starving and was hoping that with a new tank and filer (clean petrol) it would get better. I haven't gotten the new tank yet, so this is a big assumption.
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

Thanks to every one.

I replaced the points and condessor to no avail. Played around with the timing to no avail.

When I had a play with the mixtures I found that inserting the tool into the right hand carb the revs drop to almost stalling and revs raised on lifting the plunger but when I placed the tool into the left hand carb it made know diffenance at all when pressing down but rev raised on lifting the plunger this leads me to think that the problem lies on the carb side of things.

Any thoughts

Darren
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Not sure. I do know that the Jaguar mechanics that balanced my carbs in Houston were very concerned with making sure that the vacuum on each carb was as exact as possible to the other. They didn't have the "special tool", but as of yet I haven't figured out what makes the tool "special"? I am still leaning toward either finding some nice replacements or putting in a new edelbrock intake with a holley truck avenger carb . . . that ought to bump up the horse power about 30, from what i have read.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Have you still got the original stromberg's fitted, these are a more complex carb, more moving part's than the su's, it's worth checking the diapham's to see if one has split or badly shrunk.

I fitted su's to mine because they are a lot more tuneable than stromberg's and mine where starting to get on me nerve's

Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

No I got Zenith 175's.

Anyway replaced the coil with no joy.

I thought I would give her a compression test just in case and it would rule that out, well very interesting

Cyl Bar
1 11.5
2 11
3 7.5
4 2
5 11.25
6 8
7 5.75
8 11

Here lies the problem I think, either carbon build up on the valves or they are burnt out. Springs all look ok, I will investigate later and let you all know what I find.

Any other thoughts would be appriciated.

Darren
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Has this happened overnight as she seemed to be pulling ok in the video in DEEP water.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

My V8 is having similar problems and I am going to do a compression test this afternoon. I think I read somewhere that if you have low compression you can try squirting a dash of oil in to the cylinder and repeating the test. If the compression increases then its the rings/bore. If not its the valves.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Johnnyboy
I can see how that works. Nice little trick that. Learn new things everyday.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Bumpkin wrote:Has this happened overnight as she seemed to be pulling ok in the video in DEEP water.
Terry
That's me that is......

Pulls fine as long as you check the dwell every 2k