Body removal questions. . .

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
arcticrover

Body removal questions. . .

Post by arcticrover »

I have gotten pretty far in stripping the interior out and am beginning to wonder if the Station Wagon body comes off in one piece or in several pieces like all the other rovers. Who has taken their SW body off of the frame?

Bobby
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

When I bought mine the rear tub was off but in one piece. you shpuld be able to drill out the rivets that hold it to the cills/door frames and with some help lift it off.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Basil

Post by Basil »

I did mine the same way jonnyboy describe's, it's a bit fiddly and the more people you can get to help the better, i used an engine hoist to lift it up while me an me mate jiggled it free from the side frame's.

I replaced all the underneath tub support's whilst mine was off didn't fancy having to remove it again.

Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Basil-

Where did you get replacement supports? I can see that two of mine are made of wood (the ones in the center of the tub) I don't know if that is original or not? Also, did anyone use a particular document to assist in taking apart/reassembling? I have the Haynes Restoration Manual, but it isn't completely helpful. . . thanks for the help so far.

-Bobby
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

They are not supposed to be any wooden supports!

I used the workshop manual and parts catalogue. You can download them from my website here.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Thanks. I have them from an earlier visit to someone's website, so I will take a look.

EDIT: Turns out it was your website :wink: Looks like I got what I was looking for in the parts manual. Thanks.
Last edited by arcticrover on Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi mate, I got them from a main dealer, think they was about £20 each but might be wrong about that, mine were well rusty did not have any wood one's though lol

Basil

arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Thanks Basil. I found the part number and am calling to see if my dealers have them here in the US.
Last edited by arcticrover on Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil

Post by Basil »

No prob's mate , i forgot to mention i find the parts book more helpful for this kind of job.

Basil

arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

from the lroi BBS archives:

Series III they carried the part number 330265, with the introduction of the 90/110 they were superseded by MUC8949 but retained the same dimensions etc. and are still in use to current date. They are a Genuine Land Rover Part only and cost £11.23 GBP ex VAT each. For info, the mounting rubbers are 332582 and there are 2 per cross member, this is still the current part number and again are Genuine only and cost 0.40 GBP ex VAT each. Finally there are 2 types of rivets used to hold them and these are:
73979 Rivet 3/16" x 0.575" 'Pad to Cross Member' (12 required)
78248 Rivet 3/16" x 0.45" 'Cross Member to Rear Floor' (18 required)

I called my LR dealer here and they want US $53 which is about GBP $31 EACH! I doubt if shipping is GBP $20 for just one brace!
Basil

Post by Basil »

There a bit expensive mate, never bothered with the genuine rivet's just went down the local engineering firm and they gave me a bag full the right size for a £1

Basil