Starter problems

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
arcticrover

Starter problems

Post by arcticrover »

Hey again all. I am having trouble with the starter, I think. More often than not, when I turn the key, the starter )or something) makes an electrical hum, but does not actually engage to turn the engine over. It will do this five or ten times (with me actually turning off and then turning on the starter) before it actually engages and turns the engine over. What do you guys think I could check before I decide to actually just replace the starter?
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hello articrover
Mine was doing something similar a while ago. I took the starter off, stripped it down and gave it a good clean up. They sometimes fill up with dust and that mixed with grease/oil etc makes for a sticky mess and gums up the workings.
Hope this helps.
Regards Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I've found a replacement starter from a 99 Disco. Will this fit? I've had a hard time finding out what can and can't be swapped between the 3.5, 3.9, 4.6, etc. . .
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Best if you ask these guys http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/default.asp someone on there will know.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Well, I removed the starter this evening and am about to take it apart. One potential answer to my problems--the top starter mounting bolt was very loose. Think that could be part of the issue?