Wheels

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Post Reply
Bug4029
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Wheels

Post by Bug4029 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:46 am

Hi,

As they are white rather than limestone I think I have Defender wheels. Did Stage 1's have the own wheels or generic S3? Does anybody have the part number, as I'm still waiting on a parts book.

Kind regards,
George

User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:21 am
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Wheels

Post by Geoff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:54 am

Generic. NRC7578PM
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Image

Cliff4WD
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: Rye, East Sussex, UK

Re: Wheels

Post by Cliff4WD » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Bug4029 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:46 am
Hi,

As they are white rather than limestone I think I have Defender wheels. Did Stage 1's have the own wheels or generic S3? Does anybody have the part number, as I'm still waiting on a parts book.

Kind regards,
George
There are various on-line parts catalogues available while you wait for your printed copy.
E.g. http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/ ... arts-book/
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS

User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:21 am
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Wheels

Post by Geoff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm

2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Image

map1275
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:48 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Wheels

Post by map1275 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Again it depends on the market instead of asking overly broad questions. If UK home market then it's the concurrent road wheel for LWB (< 1 ton). They are dated as well as part numbered and there's an optional split rim. As a British part it may also be supplied in primer, not colour because of market variations.

Bug4029
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Wheels

Post by Bug4029 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 am

map1275 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 pm
Again it depends on the market instead of asking overly broad questions. If UK home market then it's the concurrent road wheel for LWB (< 1 ton). They are dated as well as part numbered and there's an optional split rim. As a British part it may also be supplied in primer, not colour because of market variations.
I've looked at a few Stage 1 wheel sets (UK) some are and some are nrc7578. Both types with (fv2000727) separate number. Would I be correct in saying that the 569690 number is 1970s and NRC 1980s?

Kind regards,
George

map1275
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:48 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Wheels

Post by map1275 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:20 pm

No idea. One is a Rover part number the other a BL.

You need to identify which each wheel/part number actually is. SWB or LWB, width... If an FV number is present then I'd presume it to be military (or military equivalent/suitable) for something in the FV series which isn't typically Land-Rover (Ferret, Champ, Saracen, Saladin...).

There may be an evolutionary change, in which case there would be some design aspect difference if only subtle.

As before, manufacturing dates are present so it can be ascertained whether the wheel is of the same period as the vehicle.

Bug4029
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Wheels

Post by Bug4029 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm

map1275 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:20 pm
No idea. One is a Rover part number the other a BL.

You need to identify which each wheel/part number actually is. SWB or LWB, width... If an FV number is present then I'd presume it to be military (or military equivalent/suitable) for something in the FV series which isn't typically Land-Rover (Ferret, Champ, Saracen, Saladin...).

There may be an evolutionary change, in which case there would be some design aspect difference if only subtle.

As before, manufacturing dates are present so it can be ascertained whether the wheel is of the same period as the vehicle.
Could you give me a sample of how a manufacturing date would look/ be found as I can't see anything obvious?

map1275
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:48 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Wheels

Post by map1275 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Road wheels manufactured after X date must bear their size on the outside, usually near the stem (part of the rim). This is an international standard from around the late 1970s >.

Part numbers are usually found on the centre.

Manufacturer and year and size are typically stamped in the drop centre. Dunlop, Rubery Owen (RO, ROK)... Month/Year 5.5JJ. Certainly 1960s >.

After 10 years I still haven't found an additional Australian road wheel for mine and they are common with the 88" and military versions. Yet have Australian 110 steels lying around everywhere.

Bug4029
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Wheels

Post by Bug4029 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 pm

map1275 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 pm
Road wheels manufactured after X date must bear their size on the outside, usually near the stem (part of the rim). This is an international standard from around the late 1970s >.

Part numbers are usually found on the centre.

Manufacturer and year and size are typically stamped in the drop centre. Dunlop, Rubery Owen (RO, ROK)... Month/Year 5.5JJ. Certainly 1960s >.

After 10 years I still haven't found an additional Australian road wheel for mine and they are common with the 88" and military versions. Yet have Australian 110 steels lying around everywhere.
Bizarrely I might be able to help with Australian wheels. I have a contact who has a large collection of Australian Land Rovers just outside St Albans,. U.K.. Please let me know exactly what you need and I'll ask him.

Glen
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Wheels

Post by Glen » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:43 pm

There are a few types and they can get mixed about a bit. Below are the more common 16 inch ones in the UK, (the numbers quoted are the width, profile and ET which are usally stamped between the stud holes along with other stuff I don't really care about like the FV number which is usally there - they are sometimes filled with paint so hard to see):-

5F16x46 - generic SWB rim, shouldn't be fitted to a 109 but they sometimes are. Too narrow for 7.50 or 205R16 tyres.

5.5F16x42 - early LWB rim used on series 1 and 2, unusally, the extra 1/2 inch over the SWB rim is on the inside beed making the turning circle worse. I think these were also used on 88's with radial tyres (county series 3's) and possubly 88's with factory 7.50s.

5.5F16x33 - the common 'LWB' rim. Used on Series 3's but also 90/110/defenders too. Prior to 1995 they were NRC7578 with riveted construction, after that they were welded together becoming ANR4636 but other than that they are the same tube type rim.

6.5L16x20.6 (or there abouts) - 569204 is the earlier 'forward control/1 ton' type usally used with 9.00 tyres. Land-Rover 127/130/110HD use ANR1534 - The former may well have been optional on a stage 1 as they basicly replaced the 1 ton as the model of choice for weird specal orders where anything seems possable. The 127 type rims/wheels were sold off in large qualtities by MOD parts places in the mid 2000's so have often found their way onto vareous series models since then (rather like whats happened with wolf wheels since). They are both rivited. Hubcaps are basicly flush with the wheel rim with these.

6.5L16x0 (or there abouts) - 2B forward control rims - made to widen the track to increase stability on a top heavy machine. Once popular for trialling as they offer the best turning circle.

Then theres the later stye rims like the tubeless 5.5J16x33 from td5/puma defenders and the 6.5J16x20.6 "wolf" wheels which come in tube and tubeless versions. All these have a symetrical rim section with the width changing in the middle so don't look as deep dish as the older tubed rims though they are actully the same dimmensions.

Incedently, the PM ending in the part numbers above just means it comes in primer, which these days seems to be matt black. Its true that in the 60's LR seems to have given up on body coloured wheels in favor of limestone that then became white at some point in the 110 era but this isn't a rule, wheels are also prone to repainting (even when new if it was on a fleet) so whatever colour they currently are may mean very little. If they are defender wheels though they are probubly rusty if they've not been replainted as tghe later the vehicle the less paint they seemed to bother using, not even painting the back!

Post Reply