bumper mounting brackets

Technical questions and answers

bumper mounting brackets

Post by 5988 »

can someone take a close up pic of the way the brackets fit the bumper, so long since I took mine off I cant remember
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Not sure what your problem is, but will these serve?:-

Land-Rover 109 V8 bumper attachment by Geoff172, on Flickr

Land-Rover 109 V8 bumper brackets by Geoff172, on Flickr
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

With the greatest respect, I don't think the above pictures are correct. They look a standard Series bumper fitted to possibly cut off Stage1 brackets. Stage1 bumpers are different as are the lifting eyes if applicable. The Stage1 bumper brackets are integral to the bumper and they fit over the chassis rail. Four bolts uinder the rad panel go through the whole lot. The forwardmost bolts simply secure the front of the liting eye.

I'll upload some pictures in the morning.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)

Post by 5988 »

My bumper and parts look quite allot like the ones pictured, with the exception mine are all sat on the floor with me not knowing which bits go where
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I look forward to seeing your pictures as I have never owned a Landie with the lifting eyes you mention. I own three Land-Rovers, two Stage 1s (both 1981 models) and a 1975 Series 3, and only the latter has a bumper that bolts directly to the chassis rails. I only bought the one pictured last autumn but the bumper and brackets look pretty much the same as on my other Stage 1 which I have owned for 14 years, and for which I bought the bumper specially - as new old stock with the correct OE parts number label still stuck to it - I also bought the 4 mounting brackets to fit it new from the same local independent Land-Rover parts store where I bought the bumper. (I bought it to replace a 90 or 110 bumper which had been badly cut into to make it fit & which looked terrible on it) I did a quick search on this forum and I see that back in January someone was selling these 4 brackets on here. My understanding would be that their purpose is to make it easier to remove the bumper without having to remove the front grill panel (which is of course further forward than the standard Series 3) I see that 5988 says his look like mine - I would have thought it was obvious where they go (if you've got the right bumper), but then mine aren't on the floor - get it wrong or use the wrong bumper & if you can make it fit at all, I imagine your bumper will be on at a funny angle! Just to confuse matters, I looked at the LR Parts Catalogue and it definitely lists upper and lower front bumper mounting brackets for the 109 V8 - but only 'up to May 1980'. Go figure
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Wow – now that’s a reaction. Ok, I will stand corrected on that it does appear that the bumpers were different for early and late vehicles having looked at the drawing in the parts book. Unfortunately there are no “V8” specific drawings to go by. What’s interesting is that the drawing doesn’t show a specific bumper being listed for the Stage1 so does that mean a regular Series bumper fits? My bumper being a late one has integrated brackets so you definitely need to remove the rad panel to remove it. Some time ago, I randomly bought a NOS so called Stage1 bumper and having looked at it this morning it would appear to be different to the one that is fitted to the vehicle. However, it is also slightly different to the one in Geoff’s pictures but in either case it would require the additional brackets listed for the early models for it to fit. Now, can we figure that one out :wink:

Front View of N/S

Side View of N/S

Under Wheel Arch N/S

New Bumper (Possibly early Type)

1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)

Post by 5988 »

Geoff wrote:I would have thought it was obvious where they go (if you've got the right bumper), but then mine aren't on the floor - get it wrong or use the wrong bumper & if you can make it fit at all, I imagine your bumper will be on at a funny angle!
Take them off and try to remember 3 years later - there are allot of combinations of which way around, inside or outside the bumper etc
It would be obvious once fitted, and the wings etc on, but could be there all day guessing

Interesting they changed it back to a bumper with integral brackets,
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

5988, I've taken another look at mine, now it's stopped raining, and the only difference between the one I photographed and the other is that the other's top integral brackets bolt beneath the separate brackets bolted to the chassis (I also bolted an A bar on top of the brackets) - that's just the way it fitted - the bumper still rests on top of the lower separate brackets (I also put the bolts fastening the bumper to the lower brackets the other way up but that makes no difference at all really).

I suggest you bolt the separate brackets to the chassis - with the angled ones below, angled down (which should correspond with your bumper) - and then just offer up the bumper to them and see which way it fits (if there's any choice between bolting it to the top or bottom of all the brackets, I'd put it on top - obviously)

Mrs Bingham, I can't see why an ordinary Series 3 bumper shouldn't fit - in fact, my one of those looks a lot like the first bumper you pictured above apart from the lifting eyes - if you don't mind the aforementioned hassle of removing the grill panel to fit it. I only know that someone had to cut nasty chunks out of a 110 bumper to make it fit my first Stage 1, and even then it was too close to the bodywork. I think they were trying to 'modernise' it - Yuk!
tomo_

Re: bumper mounting brackets

Post by tomo_ »

The issue is that with extra brackets you can take off bumper without dismantling the grille.
Def 110 200Tdi, work in progress on Stage 1